Monday, January 8, 2007

Module 3: WWW

I think that (John Morkes and Jakob Nielsen (1997) article - Concise, SCANNABLE, and Objective: How to Write for the Web) is still very valid in the way we use the WWW today.

As a moderate user of the internet, I always scan the websites when I'm looking for information about a particular subject. The only websites that I tend to spend more time investigating are the ones that highlight the content/text/information either in the form of writing, pictures or diagrams of the subject that I'm searching for.

In today's WWW, there are pictures and diagrams that make it easy for the users to scan websites more efficiantly then it would have been in 1997 (when the article was written). I think that websites can be scanned much easily now due to the ways that information is displayed in them. This can be attributed to the quick and easy way that digital images/diagrams can be uploaded into the internet. There are also lots of software available that can enhance words, pictures and diagrams to make websites stand out in what they are presenting.

The only time that I would spend more time on a particular website is when I'm looking at things that I have a particular interest in, for example, planes, music, cars etc.

FIVE IMPORTANT RULES FOR WRITING ON LINE:
  1. Have original content with the main heading/points/words that stand out and relate to the content.
  2. Make key words lead to useful links that relate to the main content /subject.
  3. Provide concise and exact information about the subject/topic.
  4. Do NOT have too much advertising - this shows that a website is just a billboard.
  5. Make the navigation through the website easy with appropriate 'breadcrumbs'.

No comments: